Starting in 1936, Dr. Harold Maxmen received his dental degree in the 2nd graduating class from the University of Detroit Dental School. As one of the original pioneers of Endodontics, he opened a practice in Detroit, Michigan in 1939, the first to limit treatment to Endodontics in the state. Dr. Maxmen wrote numerous articles in the 1940’s including the introduction of the Maxmen Injection, now known as the nasopalitine injection. Endodontics was first recognized as a dental specialty in 1963.
In 1962, Dr. Maxmen’s nephew, Dr. Louis E. Hirschman, also graduated from the University of Detroit Dental School. He completed his endodontic studies at Loyola University Chicago in 1969 and joined his Uncle’s practice. Dr. Louis E. Hirschman taught Endodontics for 45 years as an associate professor at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry in the Department of Endodontics.
The third generation of endodontists started with one of Dr. Louis E. Hirschman’s sons, Bradley. Dr. Bradley A. Hirschman followed the family trend and received his dental degree, Masters and specialty training from the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. He completed his studies in 2002 and joined his father in the family practice. He is now a solo practitioner at Advanced Endodontics in Novi, MI, a suburb of Detroit. The second son, Dr. Wade R. Hirschman, followed his brother’s footsteps and completed his dental training at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry.